Monday, August 24, 2020

At On In - Part I - Prepositions addressing places

 


English is not an easy language to learn and prepositions contribute a lot in making it difficult. As a teacher, I think it’s necessary we don’t cram a lot of prepositions into students’ heads. They should have enough time and practice to get familiar with the target language.

And, if you have a trick to make the concepts easier to grasp, the better.

This target practice method is such a trick to learn prepositions of places and time at, on, and in.


At, on, and in – Prepositions addressing Places

At addresses the exact location. Hence, the target center.

I am at the gas station.

I live at 3/125, Smallville apartment.

I bought the book at the book exhibition.


On addresses where the exact location is. E.g., the floor in the apartment, the street, the avenue, the road, the colony, the route, etc., the accuracy is less. Hence, the red circle.

I bought the pizza at the Pizza hut on the Bakers St.

My car broke down on the Washington road.


In addresses a wider area. The whole city, the state, the country, etc., hence, the larger blue circle.

I got a job in Japan.

My friend owns a house in Nebraska.

The news reported a volcanic eruption in the Philippines.


Lesson Plan

Materials



Questions


At On In - Part II - Addressing time click here
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I am a certTESOL certified ESL Teacher from India.