Monday, September 28, 2020

Modal verbs of Ability - Can & Could

Modals of ability

Model verbs can & could are used to express ability.

It is used as an expression to show that you have: a special skill, a talent, the strength to do something.

E.g.,

I can swim like a pro.

It is also used to express the ability to do a specific task.

E.g.,

I can’t help you. I am busy.


Can

Can is used to express the ability you currently possess (in the present).

E.g.,

I can play guitar. My dad taught me to play.

I have been working out. I can now lift 100 kg.

I can run faster than you. Do you wanna see? Let's race.

 

Cannot (negative form)

Cannot is the negative form of can. Cannot must be written and pronounced as a single word. Contracted form – can’t.

Can not 

Cannot  ✔️

 

Cannot is used to express the inability to do something.

E.g.,

I cannot lift heavy weights anymore. I’ve become old.

I can play violin, but I cannot play guitar.

I can’t cook today. I’m exhausted from all the work in the office.

Teachers notes: can is a tricky modal verb. It can be used in almost any type of situation like permission, volunteering, etc., But it pertains to its ability expressing quality.

E.g.,

Can I go outside?

You can but you may not.

Here, the request is rejected but the person asking is recognized as being capable of going out.

 

Could

Could is used to express the ability one possessed in the past but no longer in the present.

E.g.,

I could touch my toes without bending my knees when I was six.

 

Could not (negative form)

Could not is used to express the ability that one did not possess to do a task in the past. Contracted form – couldn’t.

E.g.,

I couldn't speak until I was 4. My parents were very worried.


Lesson Plan




Materials and Worksheets


Sample images




Worksheet

Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

About Me

My photo
I am a certTESOL certified ESL Teacher from India.